The city accounts for about 20 percent of the country 's industrial production. Industries include heavy machinery, aviation, precision machinery, agricultural tools, furniture, electronics, chemicals, textiles, leather goods, wire, soap, cosmetics, and food processing.
IV THE URBAN LANDSCAPE The city is divided into two sections by the Dimbovita River and is crossed by two wide boulevards. Bucharest contains six administrative districts; the adjacent rural area forms a seventh district. Most industrial areas are located in the suburbs, while the city is primarily residential. Bucharest, known as the “Paris of the Balkans” in the early 20th century, was a cosmopolitan city before 1944 when its architecture, city planning, and culture were French-inspired. After a Communist government came to power following World War II (1939-1945), French cultural qualities were ended, although the architecture remains. During the 1980s, under the orders of Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu, a vast area on the banks of the Dimbovita was razed, including houses and historical monuments. Buildings of North Korean architectural style were then erected, although many of these structures are still unfinished.
V POINTS OF INTEREST Noteworthy secular structures include the Palace of Justice (1864), the Stirbey Palace (1835), the National Bank (1885), the Presidential Palace (previously Cotroceni Palace; 17th century with later additions), and the buildings of the Central Library of the University (1893). In the 20th century, the Cantacuzino Palace (1900), the Central Post Palace (1900), the Central Savings Bank (1900), the Royal Palace (1935), the Central Army House (1913), and the Arch of Triumph (1920) were built. Among Bucharest 's outstanding religious structures are the Antim Monastery (1715) and the Patriarchate Church (1665). Bucharest has many parks and wooded areas, including Herastrau, a large park with lakes.
VI EDUCATIONAL AND CULTURAL INSTITUTIONS Educational institutions in Bucharest include the University of Bucharest (founded in 1694; refounded in 1864) and the Polytechnic University (1819).